News:

If you would like to make a Paypal donation to support this forum, click on this button

Main Menu

Replacing Garmin 2730 Touchscreen ( ST1100\ST1300 ) *

Started by KoTAOW, June 20, 2014, 06:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Submitted by Don Feyma, STOC #237

~~~

Replacing Garmin 2730 Touchscreen ( ST1100\ST1300 )

I finally got around to replacing the touchscreen digitizer in one of my 2730's this morning.  All in all it was a pretty simple job.  Paying attention to detail helps.  Thought I'd take a few pictures along the way.  I got involved and didn't take pics of some of the steps,  so I'll try to get those when I replace the screen on my other 2730. I ended up with two of them when I bought for a pretty low price, another complete kit on closeout after my original screen went belly-up,  so when the other replacement screen arrives I'll end up with two working 2730's.  Yay!

UPDATE:  I've now replaced the digitizer screen on the second 2730 and updated this post with the additional pictures.  So, for about $48, I now have two seemingly brand new 2730's that are both working like new.  Such a deal!

OK, so here's how it goes.  Take your time and be patient and all will work out.

1.  Here's what you'll need -  1 Garmin 2730 (or any in that family of 2600 and 2700's),   a pair of tweezers,  a single-side razor blade, preferably new and sharp, a small but not tiny precision phillips screwdriver.  The size I used was size #0.   You'll also need a new digitizer screen, available here:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/261213216256?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

2.  OK, first turn the gps over so it's screen down.   Remove the 7 screws  indicated by the shaded ovals in the next picture.  They are difficult to remove from the holes, so just loosen them all the way so they're spinning.  They have little rubber washers on them so they won't fall out easily.

3. Flip the now-loose mounting base over - it'll remain attached to the front of the case.

4. Using some patience,  wiggle and tug the two case halves apart carefully.  I wouldn't use a tool for fear of damaging the gasket.  I used fingernails to help pry it apart.  Set the back of the case up. There isn't any need to take any connectors off, there is enough slack to work with it.   Now remove the four silver screws as indicated by YELLOW diamonds.  They don't screw into the circuit board, they screw into some silver metal tabs.

5.  Turn the entire unit over, and you can push the guts out of the front cover from the front.   There are two gaskets, the case gasket and the gasket that seals the screen.  I took these off and carefully washed them with a little dish soap and water, and dried them.  Set them aside for later,  but try to remember the orientation of them front to back.  I set them on the desk oriented with the front of the gasket toward the front of the screen, i.e. the upside goes toward the viewing side of the gps.

6.  The metal thing with the square thing on top of the unit is the antenna.  It's probably loose there and there is enough slack to move it aside.  Do so, or if you have to, remove the tape from the wires and move it away.  I didn't have to.

7. Carefully take off the piece of green tape covering the wires on the right side of the screen case and reserve it for later. Unplug the lead cable running from the old digitizer screen to the case.  Here's where you use the tweezers, if you haven't already used it on the silver screws.

8.  Then get out your razor blade and carefully and patiently cut the silicone glue that holds the old digitizer screen to the case.  Take small passes and try not to cut your finger off.

9.  Using your tweezers, or your fingers if you have little girly hands, plug the lead cable of the new digitizer into the outlet on the case.  I found that it was easiest to just lay the new screen in position and plug it in.  It does take some force to plug in, and a magnifying glass doesn't hurt either.

10. Use some Dust-off, or whatever, to make sure there is no dust or dog hair or other debris on the the gps screen, then remove the protective film from the back of the new digitizer screen.  Try not to get any fingerprints on the back of the digitizer screen or the video screen.

11. Remove the white liner from the adhesive strip on the back of the new digitizer and carefully line up the new digitizer screen and press into place. Replace the green tape over the wires.

12. Remove the protective film from the front of the new digitizer screen.  This part will be accessible for cleaning, so you don't need to worry as much about getting fingerprints on the front.

13. Put the screen gasket back in place in the slot provided on inside of the front case.  If you lost the orientation for this, the ridge on the gasket goes toward the front outside of the unit.

14. Press the unit back into the front of the case, making sure everything is seated correctly.   Replace the four silver screws.  Tighten but don't overtighten and strip the little tiny heads.  This sucks if you do it.

15. Carefully replace the case gasket into the slot in the back of the case front. Fiddle with it until it's seated correctly.  If you haven't already done so, make sure the antenna is correctly oriented at the top of the unit.

16. Replace the back of the unit and fasten the six black screws, again being careful not to overtighten and strip the heads out.  Flip the tilt adjustment mechanism back over and re-tighten that screw.

17.  Plug in the gps, turn it on and enjoy your brand new unit!

~~~

Thank You again for your contribution Don Feyma, STOC #237