News:

Welcome to the liST! Before Posting,  READ the liST rules stickie post Here! This is a private, STOC-members-only forum. Your real name and STOC# must appear in all posts. Failure to comply with these rules may result in your profile being changed, your account being suspended and/or your posts being removed.

Main Menu

Wheel Bearing R&R Tip: Distance Collar Mod ( ST1100 ) *

Started by KoTAOW, July 08, 2018, 07:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Original idea by Paul Kolbo, STOC #273, text and pictures by John OoSTerhuis, STOC #1058

~~~

Wheel Bearing R&R Tip: Distance Collar Mod ( ST1100 )

If you've ever had difficulty removing an ST's wheel bearings, it's usually because the Distance Collar is so tightly wedged that you can't move it enough to get at the bearing properly.  BTDT!... 

While you've got the Distance Collar out, grind a couple of notches on the ID of one end so that whatever driver/drift/rod you are using will have better purchase on the backside of the inner race of the bearing you're pounding out.  I don't have a Distance Collar handy so I used a piece of PVC pipe to simulate the real thing, and added some black marker for clarity:

You only have to do this to one end of the Distance Collar.  I recommend placing the notched end to the left side of ST1100 wheels, for consistency front and rear, and because the rear wheel's right side bearing is a double-row type.  The double-row bearing will be easier to remove after the left side, single-row bearing is out.

~~~

Thank You again for your contribution Paul Kolbo, STOC #273 and John OoSTerhuis, STOC #1058