News:

If you would like to make a Paypal donation to support this forum, click on this button

Main Menu

Powerlet© Install with Pictures ( ST1300 ) *

Started by KoTAOW, June 05, 2009, 08:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Written by Curt Gran, aka crazykz, STOC 5137, IBA 330
Curt is the owner of: fuzeblocks.com

~~~

Powerlet© Install with Pictures

I've seen some Powerlet© installs and a couple things that come up in them are what is the measurements to drill the hole and does it clear the coil. Anyone that has done it knows that it does clear the coil but it isn't obvious from any of the pictures I've seen.

So in order to clear some of that up I'll publish these pictures of my install with full measurements and pictures from an angle that shows the coil clearance. I guess this would be a good article but so would about a million other things I'm doing this winter.

I've also included where I ran the wiring. It's test lead style wire that is VERY flexible even in freezing temperatures and withstands heat up to about 400 degrees. I had some and decided to use it. Since I had to put in a fuse I used a Posi-lock© instead of soldering or using a butt splice to add it. Damn I love those things. If I want to remove it later I can. That's the great thing about them. I also got some right angled connectors for connecting to the Powerlet© but you can see from the clearance photo that you can use straight terminals also.

If you're looking for a good step bit set for cheap check here:
http://www.toolprice.com/product/7384A

Powerlet© and Posi-lock© products can be purchased at:
http://easternbeaver.com/index.html

NOTE: Eastern Beaver Company is owned by fellow STOCer  ... James B. Davis, STOC 6327

Here's a tip for running wiring through PVC jacketing or when you need to pull wire through somewhere but space is so tight that using a looped piece of wire to pull it through isn't possible. Now you would have to get something through there like a stiff piece of wire or something but once you do get some dental floss. Tie a very small loop in the dental floss and then pull the floss back through it to make sort of a noose. Now slip the noose over the wire you ran through and pull it tight. In most cases if you keep tension on the floss it will grip tight enough to pull out your guide wire and fish the floss through. The tighter you pull on the floss the tighter it grips. Once you pull out the guide wire you'll have the floss run through there. Now get rid of the guide wire and loop the floss noose around the wires you want to run through there and feed them back through by pulling on the floss and keeping tension on it the whole time so it doesn't slip off. I've found this technique to be very effetive after struggling with things like this for years. This technique works better for me than taping wires to what ever I'm pulling through because about 4 times out of 10 the tape gives because it's too tight to pull back through.

Hope these help someone in the future.

~~~

Photo #1

Photo #2

Photo #3

Photo #4

Photo #5

Photo #6

Photo #7