News:

Welcome to the liST! Before Posting,  READ the liST rules stickie post Here! This is a private, STOC-members-only forum. Your real name and STOC# must appear in all posts. Failure to comply with these rules may result in your profile being changed, your account being suspended and/or your posts being removed.

Main Menu

Ram Ball Mount ( ST1100 ) *

Started by KoTAOW, August 29, 2011, 08:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Original article can be viewed here:
http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?90071-RAM-ball-mount-for-ST1100

Submitted by Bob Shwery, STOC #8058

~~~

Ram Ball Mount ( ST1100 )

I wanted a simple mount for a RAM mount for my GPS so here is one idea I modified from a ST owner who made a similar mounting platform for his ST1300. I changed it to fit my ST1100.

Since the ST1100 doesn't have the push pins for the top of the dash where the ST1300 does I had to make it a bit longer to reach to the sides of the top of the dash a few inches farther forward of the lip to use the existing screw mounts on each side.

Materials used:  

• One 1"x1/4" aluminum bar
  • One Stud Mount RAM ball (the one that mounts with a screw into the bottom)
  • Two 1/2" nylon spacers
  • Two M6x30mm pan head screws (to replace the stock screws)
  • Three Pan head screw cap/covers from True Value.

Materials used for the GPS mounting bracket:

• Garmin motorcycle mount for my GPS
     Note:  This comes with a RAM ball to put on the back of the
               bracket. I also used the short RAM mount arm. The short arm is just
               right to place the GPS just over the edge of the dash lip.
  • NUVI 550 with a direct connect power connector.

I roughly measured how long I needed the aluminum bar to be to follow the curve of the dash across the top. I carefully put a bow in the bar for that curve and then put a bend in each end to try and match what would be level for where the screws are. I marked where each screw hole should be in the ends and the center and drilled those sized for the respective screws. There is room for at least 2 more RAM balls on either side of the center so drill these also at this time. I used aluminum primer to prep the bar and then spray painted black over that. Priming and painting should be done after the holes are drilled.

All that is left is assembly. Remove the windshield. Then remove the 2 screws on either side of the dash top cover. More disassembly may be required to install any power cord for gadgets like the GPS. I did that install at this point. Once that is done then attach the RAM ball to the center of the bar, and any other RAM balls as needed. Using the longer replacement M6 screws and spacers mount the bar in place across the top of the dash. Then attach the RAM mounting hardware. Be sure to put the screw cap covers on all screws. The kind I use have a small hole in the bottom for the screw to go through so it's like a nylon washer under the screw, and the cover snaps shut with the screw then inside so it completely covers and no chance of popping off. I put a cap on the mounting screws just to make is look nicer (black cover blends better than the silver screw head), and a cap on the RAM mounting screw to protect the dash top where it is likely to rub. At this point it's done.

Now go ride.

~~~

Thank You again for your contribution Bob Shwery, STOC #8058