News:

If you would like to make a Paypal donation to support this forum, click on this button

Main Menu

Adding Power Sockets ( ST1300 )

Started by KoTAOW, October 27, 2011, 05:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Contributed by Scott Fairchild, STOC #4728.
Original article can be found here: http://www.thefairchilds.org/bikes/

~~~

Adding Power Sockets ( ST1300 )

Just like in a car, the cigarette lighter can be used to power a whole bunch of accessories such as heated vests, radios, etc. If you don't have the item hardwired to the bike, then you need to have a socket or two available.

There are two basic sockets on the market right now. There's the standard cigarette lighter socket and the smaller BMW style Powerlet® socket. Each of them provide 12v of potential, but they each also take different plugs. Many motorcycle accessories today use the Powerlets®, because they snap and hold into place - very handy on a speeding, vibrating motorcycle. I choose to have both, just in case I need to charge my cellphone or whatever.

The below picture shows the Powerlet® installed just below the right glove-box. Like most Powerlets®, it has a spring-loaded flip-up lid to prevent water from getting in.

The next installation is of a dual Powerlet® panel that installs on the left side, just below the seat. The knob you see is the rear shock adjustment knob. This particular installation is great for rider/passenger vests because A) there are two of them and B) it's mounted on the left side, which is where most vests have their cords.

The final place I installed a power socket is at the bottom inside the right glove box. This is a standard cigarette lighter socket with a waterproof cap. This is great for charging things like a cell phone or powering a radar detector.

~~~

Thank You again for your contribution Scott Fairchild, STOC #4728