News:

If you would like to make a Paypal donation to support this forum, click on this button

Main Menu

Air Deflectors ( ST1300 )

Started by KoTAOW, October 28, 2011, 06:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KoTAOW

Contributed by Scott Fairchild, STOC #4728.
Original article can be found here: http://www.thefairchilds.org/bikes/

~~~

Air Deflectors ( ST1300 )

Many people complain of the heat issue on the ST1300, and I think it's pretty much overrated. I'm not saying that there's no heat coming off the bike, or that Honda couldn't have done a better job routing it away, but I do think people tend to overstate the heat generation, especially those unfamiliar with heavy sport bikes or motorcycles in general.

In any event, there is heat generated by the bike, and it's primarily on the left side. This tends to make your left shin and ankle get a bit hot if you don't move it around a bit. One solution to this issue is to use air deflectors. There are two types of Hondaline® air deflectors available. Each are a set of four, with one set fitting around the mirrors and the other fitting around both sides of the fairing.

The fairing deflectors do the most to dissipate the heat, routing it a bit further out around your left shin. They also help the mirror deflectors in their primary function, which is to increase the bubble or "pocket" of smooth air in which the rider and passenger reside

Installation of the deflectors is pretty easy, but you need to be patient and careful. They attach with double-sided tape onto the surface which should be washed, then swabbed with alcohol before applying. You need to carefully position them before you actually commit with the sticking. You don't want to have to reattach them once they are installed. This is a relatively permanent installation, with the need to actually drill into the housing a bit to install the mirror deflectors. Some people don't like drilling, and I don't blame you, but hey, some of the best and most solid installation of farkles comes from drilling holes.

Bottom line is that they look nice with the blue paint, hold pretty securely, do a good job of dissipating the heat and also increase the rider/passenger comfort pocket. These are all great features. The bad thing is that these things are so damn expensive. They are OEM, so that shouldn't surprise you, but still, if you were to pay full price for these things, you'll pay about $300. That's really insane for some plastic pieces that should come standard with the bike in the first place.

~~~

Thank You again for your contribution Scott Fairchild, STOC #4728

KoTAOW

Fairing Air Deflector Set made by Honda is part number:  08P73-MCS-100A and approximately $199.95

Mirror Air Deflector Set made by Honda is part number:  08P72-MCS-100A and approximately $162.95

Available from your local dealer:  Honda